Saturday, April 12, 2014

More Waffles

I recently decided to try out a new waffle recipe.  Why not spice things up a bit and see what else is out there?  Now, normally, I make this recipe.  But then I fell upon a recipe entitled "Waffle of Insane Greatness".  How could I NOT give this one a try???

Ok, seriously, this really is one amazing waffle.  Mr. Clever Mom's words were, "this is the BEST waffle I have EVER had".  Why?  I asked.  It was all about the texture. It is very light and crisp, not as heavy as other waffles tend to be.  Plus even after they were cooked and sitting on a plate ready to be eaten, they didn't get soggy right away as other waffles tend to do.  Winner, winner, chicken dinner.  Or something like that.

The only sad thing about this recipe is that the batter has to sit for 30 minutes before you start cooking.  That is a long 30 minutes when you are anticipating waffles of insane greatness!  But we can all find ways to occupy our time in the  morning for 30 minutes, can't we? 

Waffle of Insane Greatness
adapted from Foodnetwork

Ingredients:
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup corn starch
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup buttermilk
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 egg
1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions:
Combine the flour, corn starch, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl and mix well.  Add the remaining ingredients and mix well.  Let the batter sit for 30 minutes.

Preheat a waffle iron.  You should not need to butter the waffle iron, the oil in the batter should be enough to release the cooked waffles.  HOWEVER, when I made these, Mr. Clever Mom was being helpful and went ahead and buttered the waffle iron.  Obviously we did not have a sticking problem.  But I can't vouch for what happens with no butter.  I'll try that next time!

Cook the waffles per your waffle iron's instructions.
Printable Recipe

Next time, I will double this recipe.  We could have eaten more.  If I could 1 1/2 it, I would do that instead, but doubling it will simple make us enough for breakfast and some left over for another morning! 

Check out this Waffle of Insane Greatness. With a  name like that, how can you go wrong?

1 comment:

Due to some bizarre spam comments I have recently received, I am moderating the comments for a while. I hope this spam craziness stops so this becomes unnecessary!